Yeah, it’s a meme. What do you want from me?
1. Where did you begin 2007?
Living room of a beach house in Rehoboth, DE. I went to bed around 12:06 or some shit after we rang in the new year by watching an Ace of Cakes marathon. It was extremely low-key
2. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Took the GRE, got accepted into grad school, went to grad school, put my one and only child on a bus for kindergarten, slept while my house was burglarized, went to court, I guess technically started my own blog, though I bought the domain over a year ago.
3. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make resolutions anymore but my mandates from last year were taking the GRE and getting my driver’s license. I took the GRE. I didn’t get my license. Fuck driving.
4. Were you in school (anytime this year)?
Yep. Non-degree student for spring semester, grad student in fall semester.
5. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friends Cristina and Ed had their first baby in June and my cousin had her SEVENTH baby just a few weeks ago.
6. Any new additions to your family?
The new little cousin referenced in #5
7. Did anyone close to you die?
Not close per se, but my grandmother on my dad’s side died first thing 2007. That was pretty sad. A lifelong friend of my parents died in the spring. I was friends with his kids when I was little. Also very sad.
8. Did you know anybody who got married?
A former grad student at my school got married last month.
9. What countries did you visit?
I don’t mess around with other countries (read: I’m broke)
10. How did you earn your money?
Workin for the man every night and day. Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis. Pumped a lot of tane down in New Orleans. Also: writin’
11. Where did most of your money go?
12. Did you have any encounters with the police?
Yep. They visited my house after it got broken into and I’ve talked to them about that incident many times since then.
13. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Some more money. I should probably start going to therapy again. Some sleep.
14. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 17. It was our first wedding anniversary and it fucking sucked. September 21. Our house was burglarized. December 6. My baby turned six.
15. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Living through this past semester. I really thought I was going to die there for awhile.
16. What was your biggest failure?
Flipping out at people.
17. Did you suffer illness or injury?
18. Where did you go on holidays/vacation?
We’ll be making the rounds of various grandparents’ houses and then a few days after Christmas we came to Rehoboth Beach again.
19. What was the best thing you bought?
I get pretty excited about my citrus juicer every time I use it, frankly.
20. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I don’t know, man.
21. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much everyone’s.
22. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The fall semester ending.
23. Did you move anywhere?
24. Where do you live now?
In my house in Pittsburgh, PA.
25. What song will always remind you of 2007?
“The Day” by Platinum. Possibly because as soon as I heard it I thought, “FUCK, this would have been perfect for our wedding.” Oh, well. Also, “Umbrella” by Rihanna, some track by Cybotron that I can never remember the name of (cause Model 500 played it at DEMF while some dancers jitted and it was amazing), “Funky Good Time,” by the JBs.